Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Confidence Got B*itch Slapped Today

So when we started trying to get pregnant I was sure it would happen the first cycle. Not so much. Then when we started clomid, I thought it would be the answer to my prayers. Wrong again. IUI#1 thought for sure that would be it. NOT!!!! After the news of my right tube being blocked I figured we just had to get my Left ovary pumping out some kick ass eggs and we would be all good. Well that got smacked down too.

At my follicle check today there was nothing growing on the left ovary for the third month in a row. 6 beautiful follicles on the right, but that doesn't help me much. And the icing on the sucky sucky cake was that my left ovary is also about half the size of my right. The thought is that we aren't going to be able to do much with lefty.

I was devastated. I really thought we would be able to get pregnant without having to do anything too invasive. Turns out that is not going to be true for me. I spent most of the day trying to distract myself by making lowfat turkey meatloaf, and the rest of the day crying.

So where do we go from here? Well, next month we are going to try to open my right tube with a procedure called a Tubal Recannulization. Here is a link about what exactly is involved in the procedure Because if I tried to explain it I would probably butcher it. It will be done between the 7th and 10th day of my next cycle. I will also continue on Clomid next cycle in the hope that the recannulization works and my right tube opens. Hopefully then we will be able to go ahead with IUI#2 Take 3.

Now, if I don't get pregnant on the next cycle then we will be moving onto IVF. I am lucky enough to have 100% coverage for 3 IVF cycles. Thankfully my company's headquarters is based in Maryland, and they have some pretty rocking state mandated infertility coverage. There is a possibility that the IVF meds will not be covered. If that is the case we may have to take a couple months off to save up for the drugs, which can run $3000-$5000. Ouch.

In addition, before I move onto IVF my RE would like me to lose some weight. He said he doesn't have a strict limit on weight for IVF, but he would like to see me lose about 40-50 pounds. The reason why they want the weight lose is because right now it can be hard to find and see my ovaries. Usually the internal ultrasound is pretty painful for me because the tech has to push so hard to see anything. So the hope is that the more weight I lose, the easier it will be to see my ovaries. Hence the making of the low-fat turkey meatloaf this afternoon.

Trying to lose weight quickly will be a challenge with my Crohn's and buldging disk, but I am determined to get PG. The one thing I have always know was that I wanted to be a Mom. And if I have to give up eating some of my favorite foods to do that, I will. Don't worry though, I will never give up baking. Just might have to change my recipes to lower fat options. Could be fun right? Maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment